100% natural, biodegradable & non-toxic
The Areca palm (Areca Catechu Linn), is extensively cultivated in South India as a cash crop, gives a strong and supple material that is amenable to various shaping. This product is obtained from the plant leaf part, which in the course of its biological life cycle, dries, falls and degenerates. The naturally shed leaf sheath is strong, odorless, water and heat resistant. Areca palm leaf sheath has its own natural grains and characteristic texture, very much similar to those seen in furniture grade wood. The outer surface of the sheath is greenish or brown, waxy and tough, while the inner surface is creamy in color and has natural grains and glossy finish.
An added advantage with this material is that it can be used to bake foodstuff and can even tolerate microwave cooking. With such amazing properties, this raw material has been used to manufacture a variety of items of day-to-day use such as disposable plates.
The entire manufacturing process uses no chemicals, resins, and dyes, strengthening agents or synthetic materials whatsoever. Areca palm leaf plates are totally safe and non toxic.
How Areca palm leaf plates are made?
1. Freshly fallen, naturally discarded sheath leaves of the Areca palm tree are collected. These leaves / sheaths are neither pulled off the tree nor are any trees cut down, as this is a non-timber forest resource. The trees naturally shed their old leaves, which are then picked up and put into good use.
2. Each raw sheath is then thoroughly washed with pressure water jets to remove any clinging dirt. It is then hand washed in pure water. The leaves are then rinsed third time in fresh water.
3. Once clean, the palm sheaths are allowed to air dry.
4. The clean & dry palm leaves are then molded into various shapes using heated press. Multiple plates of different shapes and sizes are often cut from each leaf in order to reduce waste.
5. Once pressed into shape, each plate is further cleaned with air jet to remove any dust produced in the cutting process.
6. Cleaned plates are packed in 25 pieces units and shrink wrapped.
1. Suitable for hot /cold dishes, gravy, curry etc
2. Safe to use in microwave oven
3. Can withstand temperature up to 120*C
4. Suitable for refrigerator use
5. Gets fully decomposed in soil within 30 to 45 days and acts as an organic manure.
The top 5 reasons to love palm plates.
1. No trees are harmed to make them…they’re a super-sustainable, non-timber resource. When the palm trees naturally drop their leaves, they’re collected and turned into plates.
2. Not just disposable, they’re biodegradable & compostable! Just like any other leaves, these plates will return to the earth without taking up landfill space. In addition to these features, environmentally conscious production method makes them the greenest disposable plates available on the planet.
3. Strong! Palm plates are super light, however, people are consistently surprised by how incredibly sturdy they are.
4. Gorgeous. Their natural wood pattern makes them a particularly good choice for outdoor events. Each piece is quite unique with the different color and leaf structure.
5. Available in 25 different shapes & sizes, so there’s something for any style and serving…even platters!
Please use the Contact form on the right for Areca palm leaf plates - 100% eco-friendly tableware information and ordering.