The initiative is based on the Green Table scheme successfully set-up in Canada and was officially launched in 2009. It has been designed to make it easier for small businesses to reduce their impact on the environment.
Phase I of the program requires restaurants, cafes and caterers commit to:
• using natural gas or a minimum of 20% green electricity to power their stoves
• send their organic waste to compost
• recycle paper, plastic, glass, metal as much as possible
• use energy-efficient equipment and lighting
• use water-saving equipment and fixtures and
• use recycled, biodegradable and non-toxic supplies
Phase II began in late 2010 and focuses on measuring the carbon footprints of businesses and introducing ways to offsetting their emissions and reduce a range of costs to business including in energy efficiency, waste disposal and other important cost savings measures.